Friday, February 23, 2024

The Riches of Mansa Musa



Who was the richest person in history? That’s difficult to determine without financial records, and even if they were available, there are different measures of wealth. How would you compare the size of a realm to number of slaves to gold in the coffers to global power, especially in different historical eras? However, there is evidence that the richest person in history may have been King Musa Keita I, who had all those things in abundance.

Jessica Smith presents a TED-Ed lesson on Mansa Musa, animated by Sandro Katamashvili. See pictures from the era of Mansa Musa at Business Insider.

2 comments:

WilliamRocket said...

After surviving three long term relationships and losing three houses, I now live as a single man with a number of cats.

I feel I am the richest person I know, based on my happiness, and I therefore am also a contender for 'The Richest Person in the World' title.

Anonymous said...

I am just SHOCKED that someone who is able to ignore minor differences as well as William Rocket has been divorced three times.